Sunday, May 25, 2014

White Lemon Pickle with ginger & carrot

White Lemon Pickle with ginger & carrot

Any lemon will do, but I think this pickle would be tasty with the larger types of lemons. I think Meyer lemons would be too sweet. I used a larger lemon, which had much more juice in it. They worked out great, but I still can't seem to recreate the exact same taste as my aunt and uncle's lemon pickle in India. 

The salt is going to preserve the lemons (as well as the carrots, garlic and jalapeno pepper). How much salt to add is the question. I think it is mostly preference as to how salty you want your pickles. I placed the lemons in the container and sprinkle  one or two pinches of salt over them. 


Ingredients
6 large lemons, cut into quarters or eighths
Salt
1 carrot, cut into julienne
3 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and cut into julienne
Ginger, peeled and cut into julienne (about 1 inch)


Add the lemons and salt to a large container with a strong seal. The salt will cause the lemons to bleed out their juices, so don't fill the container to the brim, otherwise the liquid will leak out. 

Add the other ingredients and seal.
Leave the jar out for around 2-3 weeks. Taste the lemons. If you want them to develop more flavor, you can leave them out longer. 

I think you can store these inside the refrigerator or outside the refrigerator. Although I store them in the refrigerator. 


No comments:

Post a Comment